Hello and thanks for your interest in becoming a Stallholder at the Warragul Farmers’ Market (WFM) which runs on the third Saturday of every month …. 8.00am-1pm.
Passionate local volunteers formed a committee to set up and manage the WFM in 2012. The market continues to be run entirely by enthusiastic volunteers using their diverse range of skills, contacts, experience and energy.
The purpose of this market is no different from any other farmers market: that is to put seasonal produce, local producers and artisan makers in the spotlight. It’s important that local produce be accessible and affordable to the West Gippsland and the surrounding regional community. We are determined that this will continue to be authentic Farmers’ Market, allowing only genuine growers without on-sellers. We decided to become an Accredited Farmers’ Market and meet the guidelines of the Victorian Farmers’ Market Association so we can guarantee to the public that we are an authentic Farmers’ Market.
Warragul Farmers’ Market subscribes to the principles provided by the Victorian Farmers’ Market Association Inc. (VFMA). These are:
The VFMA defines authentic farmers’ markets as places where:
• Farmers sell direct to the public in a fair marketplace not compromised by resellers;
• Farmers and producers create connections and relationships with customers and with each other;
• Customers are able to purchase quality, freshly harvested produce, supporting local farmers and regional Victorian communities;
• Customers buy fresh locally grown produce directly from the grower, and value added products direct from the producer, who receives full economic and social credit for their contribution to a sustainable local food system.
Authenticity should be integral to the term “farmers’ market”. Accordingly, in 2011 the VFMA created and registered an Accreditation Program with the ACCC to certify and differentiate authentic farmers’ markets for producers and consumers. The foundation of accreditation is the certification that the substantial majority of the produce being sold has been grown in Victoria. At accredited farmers’ markets, the public purchase accredited products that have been made or grown by accredited producers.
The key principles of accredited farmers’ markets are that:
• The producer has grown, reared, caught or processed the produce being offered for sale, and;
• Each stall is staffed by at least one person who has intimate knowledge of, and direct involvement with, the production process of items for sale.
The following are never permitted at accredited farmers’ markets:
• Re-sellers of fruit, vegetables or any other farm based product;
• Re-packagers of any food or drink;
• Art and craft where no clear farm origin is defined;
• Bric-a-brac stalls.
Additionally the Committee requires
All stallholders will be farmers, gardeners, bakers or cooks resident or producing within 150kms of the WFM site who produce or grow what they offer for sale.
Exceptions to the above may be made at the discretion of the WFM Inc Committee in accordance with the guidelines set out by the Victorian Farmers’ Market Association. Any stallholder found to be reselling will be at risk of losing their place at the market.
Stallholders who wish to sell produce on behalf of another Gippsland producer, can only do so with the permission of the WFM Inc Committee. The supplier must produce within the 150km radius of Warragul and provide the WFM Inc Committee with a product insurance ‘certificate of currency’ prior to commencement of trade. The stallholder is responsible for providing the WFM Inc Committee with such a certificate.
Priority will be given to producers supplying biodynamic, organic and minimal spray produce.
Any variances to these rules are at the discretion of the WFM Inc. Committee and will be made in the best interests of the Warragul Farmers’ Market, stallholders and the community.
The Application Process
- Applications open in April and must be submitted before June.
- Applicants are notified in mid June immediately after the June Market if they have been accepted and will be sent an offer to attend.
- The first market for the financial year is on the third Saturday in July.
- The Warragul Farmers’ Market selection group (comprising of non stallholder committee members and VFMA officials) will assess all applications and award success based on the principals described above.
- Proof of VFMA membership or accreditation will be verified.
- Current stallholders that meet the selection principles and reapply will be given higher standing in the selection process.
- The decision of the selection group is final.
The Offer to Attend
An Offer to Attend will be sent to successful stallholders and will be in the form of a
- 12 month contract, an Invoice for stall fees for the year, and a regulations document,
- OR a 3 month trial contract, Invoice for stall fees, and a regulations document.
- Acceptance of the offer will be finalised by the process of Invoice payment.
- Payment by direct debit installments may be available upon request.
We have reserved 2 stall spots for popups and trials, these can be applied for via the Expression of Interest form at any time through the year here.
Start the Application
It’s also a good idea to talk to your local council health officer to ensure you are following all required regulations. We also recommend visiting Business Victoria for additional information.